I love my distress inks and I use them all the time on my card projects. I love the effect they produce and their versatility. On this page, we have posted copies of any of our blog posts on distressed inks, for easy reference. Posts on Distress Stains are included here also.
Well, I promised a blog about the craft show on Friday, so here it is! I'm going to split this one into four posts though, as there is so much of it.
I usually just wander about, buying a whole pile of stuff that I don't need, either because the demo was good, or because everyone else buys it, but this time, I just wanted to do the classes. I only got as far as the 'Stamp It' booth, and signed up for all of the four classes they were running. I have absolutely no idea what else there was to look at in the show, as I didn't go any further!
The classes they were running were on Distress Inks, Distress Stains, Alcohol Inks and Melt Art, so with all that Ranger and Tim Holtz stuff, I was completely smitten. As part of the very reasonable class fee, we got lots of stuff in the goody bags with the materials needed to make the cards, so that was doubly exciting!
The first class, was run by a lovely lady called Maria, who teaches at the 'Stamp It' shop regularly. We made three beautiful cards (well the example cards were beautiful, I'm not too sure about my efforts) using Distress Inks and their own A5 stamp sets (siset048 and 051). Set 048 has some lovely wording, travel and butterfly images and 051 has background images, like cracks and music notes. Here are the cards we made:
I am used to using distress inks but I hadn't used these stamps before. I love the way Stamp It have stuck to producing the rubber stamps which you can mount onto acrylic blocks, as this seems to get the best of both worlds, with a clear definition and longevity of a rubber stamp and the ease of storage of an acylic stamp. I particularly loved the crack background stamp, so I am saving my cash to buy that set!
After tearing some cream paper, we rubbed distressed inks, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo and Brushed Corduroy around the edges. We used Sponge Blocks to apply the ink. These work exactly like the Tim Holtz ink applicators and in fact, I am told that 'Stamp It' had been using their sponge blocks, years before the Tim Holtz ones were produced. Just goes to show!
Then, we stamped our images using the same distress inks. These stamps worked very well together and you couldn't really mess things up. A final mist of Perfect Pearl (Sunflower Sparkle) in a mister, gave them a beautiful finish and was a really nice touch. This was all mounted onto a Bazzill card blank (Harvest), which worked really well with the distressed ink colour scheme.
Here are my efforts!
The pictures were taken at night, so you may not be able to see the wonderful glittery effect from the Perfect Pearls. Unfortunately, I didn't work out that I was supposed to be copying them exactly until I had finished the first card, so my first one bears no relation to the demo!
Ah well, never mind, I like them anyway.
There was another stamped butterfly that was supposed to be mounted on top of the one you see here, to create a 3D effect but I seem to have mislaid it in my stash somewhere. So just squint and imagine!
I hope you have enjoyed this short post on Distress Inks. Watch out for the next blog post...'Using the new Distress Stains'
The second class run by Maria, was really inspiring and although, I don't often choose to make cards in bright colours, I have to say that I loved the end result. In this class, we were working with the new Distressed Stains range by Tim Holtz.
The colours in this series match those of the normal Distressed Inks but as these inks are in dabber bottles, the ink can be applied over a much larger area and done very quickly, which makes this product ideal for creating backgrounds.
The effect you get, is a bit like a 'wash' but the colours remain vibrant. You can mist them with water to get quite interesting mottled effects too, as we did in the demo, or build up colour by applying layers. We even used them on the ribbon, so that we could match the colours perfectly.
The colours we used in both stains and Distressed Inks were Wild Honey, Dusty Concord, Peeled Paint and Broken China. The edges of the card were torn and rubbed with Distressed Inks to get a darker effect, which provides a nice contrast. The images were stamped with the Matching Distressed Ink and you can see that there is enough of a tonal difference for the images to stand out from the background.
Here are the demos:
Here are my efforts:
You can see the mottled effect on the green card, which was achieved simply by dangling my fingers in a pot of water and flicking them onto the inked background. This dilutes the ink to give this quite interesting effect.
The stamps we used were from the Stamp It A5 set siset047, which includes some lovely travel inspired images. I particularly like the wording on these sets of stamps, which I feel gives the cards a meaning, which an image alone cannot. Here are the finished cards:
I think I might have overdone the water splash effect on the green one but overall, I was quite happy with these!
Thanks to Maria for another 'fab' demo. I hope you have enjoyed this short article on Distressed Stains. If you want to read Part 1, click here. Next up, the wonderful Alcohol Inks!